Sun Devil Fitness is hiring lifeguards for all locations!
Submit your interest here. Be sure to indicate the location you prefer.
The Sun Devil Fitness and Wellness Complex offers American Red Cross Lifeguarding courses. In order to provide a safe class experience we are following all ASU and American Red Cross guidelines for lowering the risk of disease transmission during our classes.
All classes are now offered in a Blended Learning format. In order to receive certification, class particpants are required to complete online pre-class work through the American Red Cross and attend all in-person sessions.
Online content will be emailed to reistered participants in the week leading up to the start date of the in-person sessions. If you have any questions about the content please contact Justin Kern at email@example.com or Deanna Main at firstname.lastname@example.org . The office phone for Justin/Deanna is 480-965-8924
To register online please visit Fitness Online.
- Sign in with your ASURITE information and select "CPR & Wellness Classes"
- Click "Lifeguard Training" under Classifications
- Choose the date and location that fits best in your schedule
- Please note: only current ASU students and affiliates can register online, non-affiliates can register in-person at any of the four SDFW locations or over the phone at (480) 727-7802
This course certifies individuals as American Red Cross lifeguards. Participants will learn the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies. Participants will also receive training in First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
This certification is accepted nationwide and is valid for two years. Participants must attend all classes in a session to complete the training. Training can not be split between different sessions.
American Red Cross pre-requisites to participate in Lifeguard Training:
- Participants must be 15 years old by the last day of class to be eligible.
- Participants must be able to swim 300 yards continuously using front crawl or breaststroke, tread water for 2 minutes without using hands, and complete a timed submerged object retrieval
- These skills must be demonstrated on the first day of class
- Participants must be able to attend all the classes in a session to earn certification. Class cannot be split between two sessions.
Our instructors utilize American Red Cross assessment tools to evaluate participant skill performance. All participants must meet Red Cross objectives for skill performance throughout the class and in final skill scenarios, and pass the two final written exams with a score of 80% or greater to be eligible for certification.
- ASU Students: $125
- ASU Non-student Members: $140
- Community Members: $150
Fall 2023 Class Schedule
|9/29, 09/30,10/01||Friday, Saturday, Sunday||5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Saturday & Sunday||West|
|10/13, 10/14, 10/15||Friday, Saturday, Sunday||5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Saturday & Sunday||Tempe|
|11/03, 11,04, 11/05||Friday, Saturday, Sunday||5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Saturday & Sunday||West|
This course is designed for currently certified lifeguards who need to renew their two-year certification. Through this program, individuals will work with a certified American Red Cross instructor to review and challenge the lifeguard training program. Participants will receive updated certifications in lifeguard training, and in First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
Proof of current certification will be required on the first day of class. Students must be able to attend all the classes in a session to earn certification.
The class will include a brief review of the skills required to successfully complete the course. As a participant, it is expected that you come prepared to perform the skills and take the written exam. Participants will be given three attempts at each skill. If they cannot pass the skills at that time, they may not be available for recertification. Participants will need to spend time reviewing course materials in the lifeguard training manual before their appointment. If a student needs a lifeguard training manual, an additional fee will apply.
- Students: $75
- Non-student Members: $85
- Non-members: $95
Fall 2023 Class Schedule
|9/30, 10/01||9:00am - 3:00pm Saturday & Sunday||Tempe|
|11/3, 11/4||9:00am - 3:00pm Friday & Saturday||Tempe|
|11/4, 11/5||9:00am - 3:00pm Saturday & Sunday||West|
Eligible Participants for the Program: Must be currently certified in American Red Cross Lifeguard Training or expired within the last 30 days
Due to differences in other lifeguard training programs we are unable to offer reviews for the following companies:
- YMCA Lifeguard Training
- Ellis and Associates Lifeguard Training
- American Heart Association CPR/AED Training
- Starfish Aquatics
Required to Recertify:
- Proof of current certification must be shown at the time of the challenge.
- Successfully perform all critical skills based on the standards set by the American Red Cross.
- Successfully complete the final skills scenarios.
- Successfully complete written exams associated with the courses for which you are re-certifying with a minimum score of 80 percent